Hull #100 - Kiji
- Model: Cruising
- Year Built: 1966
- Hull #: 100
- Vessel Name: Kiji (formerly Fanny Adams)
- Owner Name: Joe Molare
- Hailing Port: Old Road Bay, Baltimore, MD
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
5/9/16 – Changed the name to Kiji, the imaginary Lt in the Russian army immortalized by Prokofiev.
My engine failed in March and left me in the bay. Had to sail up to the dock which was stressful but uneventful. New motor is half the weight which should help us on race nights. Can you believe I am trying to race the old girl? Local club is thick with classic plastic so she fits right in. Looking forward to some long weekends on the water and a few daytrips this year. The new engine will be a help.
Latest project was a new coaming board. Here is a photo showing the board installed. The finish is West System. Maybe paint over it? Also in the photo are my favorite winches, Lewmar England 25. The original bronze winches went to another Bristol in Georgian Bay and now look better than new:
A couple shots of my new dodger and new drop boards and the obligatory sunset over the cement factory:
9/27/12 -Previous owner experimented with oars but didn’t find a solution that worked. The Yuloh was on his list to try next. The problems he mentioned included being away from the tiller while rowing and then stowing the oar when not in use. He sometimes accepted a tow going into a harbor.
Tides and currents in the Chesapeake coupled with crowded marinas require a motor. My sailing is mostly daysailing from a dock so I started with a 2.5 hp motor in the well. It had no gears and a habit of stalling which became annoying. It was powerful enough and stored on the stern rail between trips which was good. The short shaft came out of the water in a 1 ft chop or any wake and kept me at the dock on some great sailing days so was not a good solution.
I found the Yamaha 9.9 on cl and restored it back to good mechanical condition. Motor worked great but was too big to take out between trips so the water intakes fouled within 3 days. Clearing the intakes meant going over the side. Also not a good solution.
The transom bracket is working out for me. I had the boat out in 15-20 knot winds with 2 ft seas. The boat sails beautifully on all points of sail with the motor up out of water and motors easily with the motor down. No worries about fouling and no huge inboard maintenance bills. ,
9/26/12 – Just enjoyed my first sailing day since starting the outboard bracket project. End to end was a month including ordering parts and installation. The most complex aspect was building a custom shim to exactly match the contour of the hull. Fortunately, I had and engineer with skills to help with that part but it was very slow and exacting work. The shim was made of sapele mahogany and fiberglass.
The results far exceeded my expectation. I am able to operate the bracket to lower the motor to exit and enter the marina, and to lift it out of the water when sailing. The motor is clear of fouling and operates reliably which is all we want from a motor.
The most startling improvement was in the sailing abilities of the boat. With the motor out of the water, speed is improved on all points of sail. The boat is more weatherly and better down wind. Steering anomalies have disappeared.
Unfortunately, the original insert that covers the outboard hole did not convey with the boat so we are building a new one. Another complex and painstaking project. The locker is surprisingly wet without the insert.
I attached a couple photos of the motor bracket and the insert in progress. There are a few peripheral modifications to finish up to do with battery cables and bilge pumps that were displaced by relocating the motor. Nothing major that will keep the boat at the dock.
7/20/12 – There is no decal on my transom but in my mind at least she is the sloop Fanny Adams. Sorry no photos of her under sail. I have some recent photos from converting the cockpit access to a flush hatch. Photos are not very Bristol looking as I held off painting until the hatch was completed. You may have seen them on bristolboatowners. Here are some photos from the conversion of the cockpit ice box cover to a flush hatch. Next steps are a drain for the gutter, repair the cracks caused by the opening and then some paint.This is my third summer with the boat and I have not put ice in the ice box. Mostly I was annoyed by the 3 inch step up in the cockpit due to the cover and the cracks. For now I have been too long at the dock and need to get a fresh breeze and some new miles under the keel before doing the finish work.
8/8/11 – My project list is short and focused on building a daysailor/weekender for the protected waters of Chesapeake. The two projects completed since purchase in spring of 2010 are the new bottom and new rudder. I have photos from both that I can send along.