Design Changes & More Research

About a year and a half ago, I completed a multi-month research phase to try to nail down all my final design decisions and allow full focus on construction.  In March, 2012, I was about to take action on final interior construction, however before I did so, I began to review all my notes a full overview.  The overview was a way to insure that my feelings about my decisions still made sense.  During the review, I began to play with the idea of removing the heater and engine to create a more livable interior.  As I pondered, entirely new avenues of cabin design and general simplification of many systems in opened in front of me.  If there was any time to make changes, now was that time.

So, since March I’ve embarked on another research phase to finalize how the interior, and boat itself will come together.  Here are some key changes:

These changes will require demolishing some already completed work, and though this pains me, I believe the design improvements and reduced costs are worth the trade off in lost time and money.  I will be posting a very large update to the site with all my new research, questions and so on.  This update will cover, in depth, all the changes that were made and why.  For now, while I complete this new research phase, here’s an incomplete list of pro, con and mixed reactions to this new design:

Pros:

Cons:

Mixed:

8 Responses to Design Changes & More Research

1. I think you have been reading too much Lin and Larry Pardey.

Submitted by: DavidBrowne on September 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm

2. I fully agree! The engine can be a GREAT asset when the winds go bad and/or the seas kick up. Also mostly necessary for manoeuvering in some harbors.
    I’ve turned my ice box into ‘storage’ and use a cooler when needed. The sink is VERY useful and less ‘fooling around with’ than tubs, buckets, etc. The no heater, I agree with depending on where you plan to sail.

With just under 7000 miles on Viking Too, I’ve learned that Carl Alberg designed a very good boat and I’ve learned not to ‘mess’ with his plan.

Submitted by: Dean Aschenbrenner on October 13, 2012 at 5:43 am

3. Thank you both for your input! I’m still mulling things over and will take into account your thoughts.

I think the ice-box, sink and tanks are back in the picture. The engine well…I think there are cruising grounds where an engine isn’t required. Engines do have benefits, and I may find one to be necessary as the trip progresses.

There are pros and cons for all decisions; it’s a matter of finding the right balance.

Submitted by: Andrew on November 14, 2012 at 7:15 pm

4. Sounds like it’s still going well, even if you’re changing plans. Hopefully I can bum a ride on it once it’s complete.

Submitted by: Alex Bartoloni on December 12, 2012 at 11:56 am

5. Anything new? still building?

Submitted by: jasons on December 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

6. Hey Jason,

I’ve taken a break from construction for a short time while I finish research and make final fitting out decisions.

I’ve also been repairing the boat shed – after about 3 years out in the weather it needed some TLC.

I hope to back in construction ASAP and will be sure to update the site once construction begins again.

Andrew

Submitted by: Andrew on January 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm

7. Not related to this particular update, but thanks very much for publishing your excellent research notes! A lot of useful stuff (especially the section on ventilation) and it inspired me to pick up a few books. If you ever had a free moment, a list of books you’ve found particularly useful in the course of your project would probably be appreciated by a lot of people.

Looking forward to seeing how your boat turns out!

Submitted by: Eric on May 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm

8. Good to see your still working on the project. I know as I worked on my B24 things changed extremely as I worked. Never planned to do a complete gut of the boat, much less replace my ballast with Lead instead of cement and pig iron. Look for NASA type insulation for your ice box R-30 in 1″. My job’s have taken me across country during my rebuild which has slowed the process down, packing and moving the boat 4 times, relocating to Reno, NV in weeks.

Submitted by: Stephen Boyle on September 7, 2013 at 9:33 am

Comment Form

* = Required field. Also, your email address will not be published.