Hull #289 - Stella Maris
- Model: Cruising
- Year Built: 1972
- Hull #: 289
- Vessel Name: Stella Maris
- Owner Name: Thomas Truman
- Hailing Port: Watauga Lake, Hampton, Tennessee, USA
October, 2018 – Thomas purchased the boat and began restoration. The boat originally came from New Jersey.
October 16, 2020 – I added CDI furling . Last item is v berth cushions.
We are fortunate enough to sail year round. It sails perfect. Well balanced. Comparing a 25 cape dory and a 31 foot cape dory to Bristol, I think the Bristol 27 sails a bit better. I’m still a cape dory fan. As I mentioned earlier and still believe, the construction of the Cape dory is better.
[Thomas sent some images of the boat after the overhaul and they show the tremendous improvements from when this boat started. Here’s a few photo highlights:]
May 24, 2020 – I [replaced] my two larger portholes using Beckson opening ports. I didn’t like the asymmetrical look. I just replaced my two scuppers in the cockpit with larger Spartan ones and criss-crossed the drain tubing in an effort to see if it will keep water out of the cockpit floor. I [also] enclose[d] the rudder post like Cape dory does. I’m hoping this will prevent a bilge full of water.
May 23, 2020 – I’ve never taken so long to rehab a sailboat. But I’m back on track. The decks are completed. End grain balsa removed on foredeck, new solid mahogany salon floor lowered 1/2 “, all new AC/DC wiring( no more wire nuts or house wire). Everything re needed with backing plates added or fiberglassed in place. Maybe 80 more hours…..then home free.
October, 2018 – I think overall it is a good boat. Some things built a lot better than a Cape dory ( I’ve had 3 of these) and some things not as well. The interior needs new sole. I’m going to use marine plywood for base then 1/2 mahogany. New wiring, paint and some kind of boat carpet/ hull liner . I have started taking everything off that can come off on topside. Thanks for your interest and setting this site up.
March, 2019 – Still on reglassing the foredeck. A lot of rotten end grain balsa from years of water intrusion. I’m cutting out the salon floor secondary to delamination. I’m replacing with 2 ×6 stringers fiberglassed to hull/keel then running solid mahogany 3/4″ planks. I changed out small cockpit scupper drains and replaced with larger spartan marine scupper.
I’ve never spent so much time on soft decks. I think the Bristol is a great boat but having worked on 3 Cape Dories, I think the latter is a better built boat. I’m hoping to move on completing this project soon.