Engine Compartment

Project Logs

November 22, 2011

A few weeks ago, I installed a final piece to the bottom of the cockpit bulkhead.  This piece has a hole cut in it for the prop shaft, as well as drainage at the bottom and it will serve as a way to keep the sound in the engine room.  Here’s what the piece looked like after it was all installed:

The cockpit extension piece is installed. Note the PVC drains and hole cut for the prop shaft.

And here’s the basic process for installing this piece:

  1. Template the piece.  It must fit below the cockpit bulkhead and inside the bilge.  Somewhat of a “v” shape.
  2. Use the template to cut the piece, then trim any final areas that need it to finalize the fit.  Also cut a hole for the prop shaft and drainage tubes
  3. Cut fiberglass tape for the new cockpit bulkhead extension
  4. Thicken the piece in place by thickening between the piece and the hull, then
  5. While the filet was still wet, I installed tabbing on both sides of the piece.  First 4″, then 6″.

I decided not to use foam between the hull and this piece.  My thinking is that the boat won’t flex much down in the bilge and I’ll have a very strong bond with the epoxy and fiberglass tabbing.  I suppose time will tell!


I installed the engine mounts, settee’s and cockpit bulkheads to build the basic engine compartment.  Later, I built a diesel tank in the bilge from epoxy and fiberglass.  Later, I will finalize the engine compartment construction.


Motor Mounts
Sound Insulation

Page Menu

4 Responses to Engine Compartment

Comment Form

* = Required field. Also, your email address will not be published.